CUPE Local 1356 Blog

Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 1356. We have three Collective Agreements as Local 1356, 1356-01, and 1356-02. The membership is comprised of the full-time and part-time workers of York University the Local website is at 1356.cupe.ca This Blog will include Local information and information garnered from sources other Universities, Colleges, Post Secondary/Tertiary Education and news sources supplying information.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

University Federal Funding from Statistics Canada

Interesting data from Statistics Canada that was not announced publicly by the Harper government, showing a decline in spending on research and development in the university sector in 2008/09, particularly in the social sciences and humanities. The throne speech contained no mention of the word “university” and one mention of the term “post secondary education.”

Sue Lott
Research Officer
CUPE National Office




Federal government spending on science and technology
2008/2009 (intentions)

The federal government will spend an anticipated $9.9 billion on science and technology in the fiscal year 2008/2009.

This will be a decline of about 3% (in current dollars) from the previous fiscal year, and the first decline after five years of increases.

About 63% of this total will go to research and development, and the remaining 37% to related scientific activities.

Of the total, natural sciences and engineering will receive just under $7.5 billion, most of which will go to research and development. Social sciences and humanities will get an anticipated $2.4 billion.

Toby Sanger
Economist
Canadian Union of Public Employees
1375 St Laurent Blvd, Ottawa, K1G 0Z7, Canada

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home