CUPE Local 1356 Blog

Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 1356. We have three Collective Agreements as Local 1356, 1356-01, and 1356-02. The membership is comprised of the full-time and part-time workers of York University the Local website is at This Blog will include Local information and information garnered from sources other Universities, Colleges, Post Secondary/Tertiary Education and news sources supplying information.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Off-campus work permit program launched

Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities

Off-campus work permit program launched

TORONTO, April 27 /CNW/ - Foreign students studying in Ontario can apply for off-campus work permits beginning June 1, the Honourable Chris Bentley, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities and the Honourable Monte Solberg, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, announced today.

"We have over 34,000 international students in our colleges and universities who may now participate in work opportunities in our communities and earn the money they need for their studies," said Minister Bentley.

"Off-campus work agreements will make it easier for students to gain work experience in the Canadian labour market and earn extra income while studying," said Minister Solberg.

Eligible Ontario foreign students will be able to apply for an off-campus work permit beginning June 1, 2006. All 47 Ontario publicly-assisted colleges and universities have signed an agreement to implement the program in co-operation with the provincial and federal government.

To be eligible for the program, international students must complete six months of full-time study at a public postsecondary institution. To remain eligible, they must maintain their full-time student status, sustain satisfactory academic standing and work no more than 20 hours a week during regular classes.

"With all of our colleges and universities participating, communities throughout the province can benefit from the diverse knowledge and experience that international students can bring to the workplace," said Bentley.

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program is one of several federal-provincial programs designed to give foreign students experience in the Canadian labour market and make it easier for them to work in Canada after they graduate.

Ineligible international students include exchange students, students enrolled in English or French second language programs, and students who have received awards from the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program, the Government of Canada Awards Program or the Canadian International Development Agency.

For information on how to apply, students should visit the website at
Students can also contact their institution for more information.


Post a Comment

<< Home